A staple of my family’s collection when I was a teen, I find much of this movie extremely hilarious, perhaps more so than is normal (or so my friends tell me, anyway). This Robin Williams / Nathan Lane take on La Cage aux Folles was by no means universally liked (78% critics rating on Rotten Tomatoes), but all I can say is that I find certain lines very, very funny and addictively quotable. Perhaps it’s nostalgia for where I grew up, or nostalgia for Robin Williams back when (remember those days?), or just my own sense of humor, but whatever the reason, I often turn to this film on a rainy day (yes, literally and figuratively). It must have something to do with Hank Azaria’s – sorry, Agador Spartcus’s – “natural heat”…
Here are some of my favorite lines:
[when asked about a football game] How do you think I feel? Betrayed, bewildered… [pause] Wrong response?
So this is Hell. And there’s a crucifix in it.
One does want a hint of a color.
I made you short?
– All right, I’ll bite, where are you going?
– To Los Copa.
– Los Copa? There’s nothing in Los Copa but a cemetery.
– I know, that’s why I’m packing light.
– Oh I see. You’re going to a cemetery… with your toothbrush. How Egyptian.
– What are you doing?
– Why are you giving him drugs? What the h*** are pirin tablets?
– It’s aspirin with the “a” and the “s” scraped off.
– My God, what a brilliant idea.
– I know.
– Who put Playboy in the bathroom?
– It’s what they read.
– Don’t add! Just subtract!
– No good?
– Actually, it’s perfect. I just never realized John Wayne walked like that.